Catch of the week: 'Most Danbury area officials surprised by steroid ring arrests'

As I was working on an editorial piece for Kendra's Two Cents blog, I noticed that one of the articles I was using as a reference had an ambiguous headline: "Most Danbury area officials surprised by steroid ring arrests". I already knew what the story was behind the headline since I had come across the article while clicking through related News Times articles, so I did not pay that much attention to how the headline was written at first, until I was typing out my blog post's work cited.

The way the headline is written makes it seem like the Danbury area officials are surprised by who the arrestees are, but that is not true. The article is about the arrest of an alleged steroids ring that sold performance-enhancing drugs to high school athletes in the Danbury area. By reading the headline, readers would think that the Danbury area officials are surprised by who was arrested, but in reality, they are surprised that local high school athletes are reported to have been among their customers.

Works Cited

FitzGerald, Eileen. "Most Danbury area officials surprised by steroid ring arrests." News Times. Hearst Communications Inc., 15 March 2011. Web. 15 March 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment