The Elements of Style: Chapter 1

Chapter one of The Elements of Style provides eleven rules of English usage, which include: four rules for comma usage, using apostrophes to form the possessive singular of nouns, colon usage, using dashes to distinguish an abrupt break or interruption, noun and verb agreement, making sure not to break sentences into two, using proper cases of nouns, and making sure that a particular phrase at the beginning of a sentence refers to the grammatical subject. The chapter also provides correct and incorrect examples pertaining to each rule.

Although I already learned everything that this chapter explains (in other words, I didn't learn anything new), I do  occasionally find myself making mistakes when I write that do not follow the rules in this chapter. In the future, I will try to pay closer attention while I write and keep the eleven rules provided in this chapter in mind.

Works Cited

Strunk, William and  E.B. White. The Elements of Style. 4th ed. Needham Heights: Allyn & Bacon, 2000. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment