The Elements of Style: Chapter 4

Chapter four of The Elements of Style covers over 20 words and expressions that are commonly misspelled, such as "all right," and misused, such as "aggravate" versus "irritate" and "allusion" versus "illusion."

Out of the words and expressions presented in this chapter, the two that I most relate to, since I always use (or misuse, according to the book) and misspell are: "all right" and "and/or."

According to the book, "all right" is "idiomatic in familiar speech as a detached phrase in the sense "Agreed," or "Go ahead," or "O.K." [and is] properly written as two words all right." I have a tendency to misspell this phrase as "alright," because I've seen it spelt that way so many times and just picked up on spelling it that way. From now on I will try to spell the phrase correctly.

"And/or" is "a device, or shortcut, that damages a sentence and often leads to confusion or ambiguity" (Strunk & White 40), and based on this definition that the book gives, I constantly damage my sentence by using this device or shortcut. Chapter four provides an example of a way that a writer can properly write a sentence that he or she would ordinarily use an "and/or" in:
Wrong: "First of all, would an honor system successfully cut down on the amount of stealing and/or cheating?"
Right: "First of all, would an honor system reduce the incidence of stealing or cheating or both?"
Personally, I find the "right" example to be more confusing than the "wrong" one, but according to The Elements of Style, it is less ambiguous and confusing. I will try to cut down on my "and/or" usage, even though I believe the phrase can sometimes be used in sentences in an unambiguous or confusing way.

Works Cited

Strunk, William and E.B. White. The Elements of Style. 4th ed. Needham Heights: Allyn & Bacon, 2000. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment